Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima updated fans with more details of mysterious new title Death Stranding featuring The Walking Dead’s Norman Reedus.
During RTX Sydney, a two-day gaming and internet culture event hosted by Rooster Teeth, legendary game creator Hideo Kojima took to the stage to answer questions. Kojima Productions’ latest project Death Stranding was first revealed at Sony’s E3 2016 press conference and prominently featured Norman Reedus in the trailer. Ever since questions have flown.
Anything you could think of, from Death Stranding’s release date to the question of its release even being on Sony’s current PlayStation 4 console to a potential sequel.
Death Stranding E3 Trailer featuring Norman Reedus
Here’s the latest:
– Death Stranding will be released on PlayStation 4, likely in 2018. Though no official release date is available yet.
– According to Kojima, Virtual Reality elements are unlikely, “At this time, Death Stranding is not a VR game”.
– Kojima stated one of the great things about Sony is allowing them to push the boundaries in the trailer reveal with Norman Reedus going full Terminator intro style. He calls it mutual trust and respect.
– He mentions he received many big time money offers for the title before deciding to align with Sony. Kojima decided on Sony because he’s worked together with Sony for more than 20 years. As Death Stranding is Kojima Productions’ first independent title he wanted to give the best opportunity for success. He sees little chance of failure with Sony as a partner.
– Kojima reports he receives 100% creative freedom with his Sony partnership. While Sony is in charge of overall marketing/promotions for the title, Kojima still gets creative input on the promotional direction.
– There is no current sequel planned (too early) for Death Stranding. However, naturally he will consider it if fan demand and sales are high enough.
– Death Stranding is still very much in its early stages, with game logic currently being tested. There will be much work this year to fill out Death Stranding’s game world and build upon a strong foundation.
– The plot was ready before Norman Reedus was contacted for the role of lead protagonist.
Follow me on Twitter: @nirregev