What Can Possibly Happen Next: The Future
With Carl gone, the show is taking a major detour from the source material. I haven’t read the comics and that’s by design. I can’t tell you what Carl does for the comics, but I do know he is still alive in the comics and he has played an integral role in the graphic novels.
That said, Carl is about to be gone on the show and there is no longer a future where Rick hands over the reins to his son.
The future is now wide open on the show. What we thought was canon, and characters we thought were untouchable, are now fair game. Anything can happen and the showrunners clearly don’t have a problem going there. They just went there and it’s huge and it will shape the way the show moves forward because it changes a whole lot about what fans of the comics thought was going to happen.
More from Undead Walking
- Walking Dead alum Jayson Warner Smith promotes new film, Chipper, watch it now
- Walking Dead actor Chandler Riggs filming new movie in Tampa Bay
- Why is there no season 12 of The Walking Dead?
- Will Morgan Jones find Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live spinoff?
- Watch Tales of TWD actress Jillian Bell in Prime Video’s Candy Cane Lane
Whether you’re looking at the short or long term, losing Carl is going to have a longstanding impact on the show and it will be fun to see what happens next.
The Walking Dead returns February 25 on AMC.