- Episode number: 102
- Original airdate: Nov. 7, 2010
- Major debuts: Andrea, Glenn, Jacqui, Jim, Merle, Morales, T-Dog
With Rick Grimes making it to Atlanta, he encounters a friendly face that helps him escape a horde of hungry walkers. Rick is then introduced to a small group of survivors on a scavenger run and begins to see the value of the group while helping with their conflict.
On his journey to find his family, he also encounters more of the undead and learns of a way to traverse the walkers without drawing their attention. They make their way back to the camp where this group settles.
Highlights from the episode:
- Meeting a new group of characters. It’s strange to look back at the introduction of great characters like Carol, Daryl, Andrea, Merle, and T-Dog and now understand how major those moments were. The Walking Dead cast so many characters perfectly, and they went on to shine for many years to come.
- Camouflage from the undead. This episode is titled after the idea of covering oneself in the blood and guts of walkers to move through a group undetected. This is a strategy that is used sparingly yet appropriately throughout the series and adds an interesting dynamic to the battle with walkers.
Lowlight from the episode:
- The morality of Merle. Let’s be honest. Merle isn’t a good person to others. His biases when it comes to race, gender, and just about anything else made him an extremely unlikeable character. When he got left on the roof, the question of whether the team should come back for him or not was much more difficult than if it would have been someone like Glenn, Andrea, or T-Dog.