The Walking Dead has featured plenty of plot twists, but this summer brought reports of the most bizarre plot twist of them all — Daryl Dixon coming out of the closet.
There have been plenty of memorable characters in the history of television who have bended the heterosexual bar that seems to be the norm for shows. But being the progressive audience we are, gay characters have become the new norm and are widely accepted in the realm of film and television.
More from Interviews
- Fear the Walking Dead: Charlie – Alexa Nisenson interview
- Undead Walking Podcast: Special guest Jeffrey Kopp talks Dead City
- Podcast interview with Walking Dead: Dead City actor Charlie Solis
- Interview with The Walking Dead: Dead City composer Ian Hultquist
- Walking Dead: Dead City Željko Ivanek Croat uses fear and intimidation
That’s why it’s so interesting that rumors that The Walking Dead’s Daryl Dixon could be a gay character sparked so much debate and conversation this summer. An unconfirmed report suggested that Daryl could be a gay character and come out at some point in the series, but this has been shot down.
In an interview recently, Robert Kirkman dismissed the reports of Daryl’s sexuality and mentioned that if the show ever slows down the issue might come up.
"“We have very specific ideas about Daryl’s sexuality (or the seeming lack thereof), and if there’s ever a quiet period in the show where he’s not consistently distracted by crossbowing… we’ll tackle it in the show,” Kirkman said."
It’s too bad that this isn’t happening, as Daryl being gay could help the struggle for equality even further. While gay characters are accepted, they’re traditionally outward in the way they present their sexuality. There is nothing wrong with this as the heterosexual characters are much worse at this, but to have a brooding and more importantly a massively popular character like Daryl be gay, that could help open a lot of eyes to being more fair to their fellow human counterparts.
More from Undead Walking
- Walking Dead alum Jayson Warner Smith promotes new film, Chipper, watch it now
- Walking Dead actor Chandler Riggs filming new movie in Tampa Bay
- Why is there no season 12 of The Walking Dead?
- Will Morgan Jones find Rick Grimes in The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live spinoff?
- Watch Tales of TWD actress Jillian Bell in Prime Video’s Candy Cane Lane